Why Family Dedications
We believe that God has called us to be a people that show and share the love of Jesus through relationship so that others would come to know Him. We call this sharing and showing of Jesus’ love in relationship discipleship. One of the most impactful and powerful relationships that God has created for the purpose of discipleship is the relationship between parents and their children. Family Dedications are a covenant (an agreement) made by parents that they are committed to showing and sharing Jesus with their children and to raise them in a home that reflects the grace and glory of God.
The Purpose Of A Family Dedication Is:
- To give parents of young children an opportunity to recognize God’s gift of children to them. (Psalm 127:3)
- For parents to declare their intent to raise their children in a Christian environment. (Deuteronomy 6:5-7)
- A challenge to parents to spiritually guide and educate their children. (Ephesians 6:4)
- A challenge for parents to lay a foundation of learning about God. (Proverbs 22:6)
- A challenge to family, friends, and the church family as a whole to support this family in prayer and other needs as they raise their children to know, love, and serve Jesus. (Matthew 19:13-15 )
Where Family Dedications Happen
- Church Gathering: We gather corporately to celebrate how God is working in our lives and to encourage and remind each other to continue to obediently rely on Him and to follow His plan for our lives. During Family Dedications we do exactly that; we celebrate that parents are making a covenant to make Jesus central in their family, and we as a church body desire to encourage and support them as they seek to fulfill and honor that covenant.
- Family Gathering: We are big believers of life happening in smaller pockets of community. We encourage you to consider the people (friends and family) that will be the primary influencers and supporters of your family and your children and invite them to share in a time to further communicate and celebrate the covenant you are making as parents. This a great opportunity to celebrate how God has moved in your lives as parents and to ask your friends and family to support you as you show and share Jesus with your kids. This gathering of family and friends can happen either before or after the dedication at the Sunday church gathering.
Family Dedications Are Different From Baptism
We believe that Family Dedications are different and distinct from baptism. Family Dedications are a covenant between parents, their family, their friends, and their church family to raise their children in a God-glorifying way until their children are able to make their own personal decision to have a personal relationship with Jesus and recognize Him as their Lord and Savior.
How To Schedule A Family Dedication
Fill out the sign-up form below, and a member of our Family Ministry team will contact you to set up a meeting with a pastor at The Well Kingsburg to talk over the Family Dedication process and answer any questions you might have.
After we have met together, our Family Ministry team will work with you to schedule a date for your Family Dedication at an upcoming Sunday church gathering.
Family Dedication Sign Up Form